Cinnamon Dots

Food, Drink, Life

Monday, November 27, 2006

Tomatillo Chicken and Hominy Stew

I found this recipe right after I moved back to Morgantown from the DC area. This stew is so exciting in flavor and yet so comforting. I ended up making it A LOT at first, and eventually needed a break. So it's been a while, and I have been looking forward to having it again all week.

Tomatillo Chicken and Hominy Stew (4 servings at 5 points a piece)

Ingredients:

1 sprays cooking spray
1 medium garlic clove(s), minced
1 small onion(s), chopped
1 large chopped tomatillos
1 small jalapeno pepper(s), cored, seeded and minced (do not touch seeds with bare hands)
14 1/2 oz canned tomatoes, diced, fire-roasted
2 cup cooked whole hominy, or a 15.5 oz can drained hominy
1 cup canned pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 pound uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp dried oregano, crushed
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp table salt
1 cup fat-free chicken broth

Instructions:

1. Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Add garlic, onion, tomatillo and jalapeno. Saute for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.

2. Stir in canned tomatoes, hominy, beans, chicken, cumin, oregano, pepper, salt and broth.

3. Cover skillet and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes. Yields about 1 3/4 cup per serving.

If you can't find a tomatillo, you can substitute of a red tomato and 1 tsp of lemon juice. I usually just do this because sometimes I have a tough time finding tomatillos.

I really love the tanginess of this dish, but my favorite part I would have to say is the hominy. I used to eat hominy a lot when I was younger, but until recently hadn't touched the stuff. The husband and I just can't get over how good this stew is. And if you are new to hominy, this is a good way to ease into it :)

3 Comments:

  • At 6:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Stephanie!

    Love your blog- I've been reading for awhile now and I finally have a question to ask! I have never had hominy... what aisle in the grocery store can it be found/ This dish looks wonderful and I am always up for trying new things!!

     
  • At 10:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Stephanie!

    I've been reading your blog for awhile now and I've tried several of your dishes (I've loved every single one of them!). I finally have a question for you... I've never had hominy before and I was wondering if you could tell me what aisle it would be in the grocey store.

    Thanks!

     
  • At 11:32 AM, Blogger Stephanie said…

    You can find hominy in the canned vegetable section of your grocery store. I think it's readily available at most places, but I've definitely been able to find it at Super Walmart, Kroger, and Giant Eagle.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home