Cinnamon Dots

Food, Drink, Life

Thursday, November 23, 2006

Happy Thanksgiving


Happy Thanksgiving from our table to yours!

The husband and I were unable to make it in to visit our family this year, so I made a little feast for us instead. And of course it was a dairy free feast so the husband didn't have to worry about it.

I have this neat cone roaster that can cook a whole chicken or a small turkey inside and out, so it cooks fairly quickly. Another neat thing about it is that it has a ring at the base where you can roast vegetables, and have the chicken or turkey juices run over them adding extra flavor.

I went with a chicken, and I took slices of orange and lemon and placed them in the cavity of the chicken for flavor. I then dried the chicken and spritzed it with a little bit of olive oil, and rubbed a mixture of orange zest, lemon zest, poultry seasoning, chicken herb seasoning, thyme, and a little bit of rotisserie chicken seasoning all over. And in the ring below I roasted a mixture of carrots, broccoli, zucchini, and yellow squash with a spritz of cooking spray and a little bit of pepper.

I made some garlic mashed potatoes as a side dish, and to do so I used two cooking potatoes and boiled them with 4 cloves of garlic. Once they were soft I mashed the potatoes, leaving the cloves in with them. I then added about 1/4 cup of chicken broth, salt, pepper, and chives. This makes them 2 points for 4 servings.

For a final side I made a french bread stuffing. I added cooked celery, onion, a little bit of chicken broth, poultry seasoning, and sage to a cubed loaf of french bread. I then baked it until the top got fairly crisp.

I finished our meal off with some frozen 1 point wheat rolls and a premade gravy. It was tricky finding a canned gravy that didn't have whey in it, but in the end I went with Campbell's turkey gravy. And the rolls were Pillsbury's frozen Oven Bake dinner rolls.

The meal turned out wonderful, and it was nice to have a meal like this with just the husband and I. The vegetables were so tasty, and you could even taste a bit of citrus from the chicken juices. The chicken's skin was very crisp and a pretty golden brown; I really like cooking chicken on my cone roaster. And the stuffing, mashed potatoes, rolls, and gravy were such a treat too.

I hope everyone had a very happy and delicious Thanksgiving :)

2 Comments:

  • At 3:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Your chicken looked yummy! I was wondering what is a cone roaster? Do you have a photo of what it looks like? All of your recipes here look very appetizing!

     
  • At 9:16 AM, Blogger Stephanie said…

    Thanks! Check out today's post (11/29/06) to see pictures of the roaster.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home