Cinnamon Dots

Food, Drink, Life

Friday, July 14, 2006

Cooked Carrots with Pineapple Glaze

While looking around on the Apples for Health site,I saw this recipe for Cooked Carrots with Pineapple Glaze. I thought that this combination sounded really interesting and I just had to try it.

Cooked Carrots with Pineapple Glaze (Serves 4 at 2 points a piece)

Ingredients:

1 lb carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch slices
2-1/4 cups unsweetened pineapple chunks, drained and juice reserved
1 Tbs. unsalted butter
1 Tbs. lemon juice
1 Tbs. cornstarch

Instructions:

Place carrots in a steamer basket over boiling water. Cover saucepan and steam 6-7 minutes or until almost tender. Drain carrots and return to saucepan. Combine pineapple, butter, lemon juice and salt to taste in a bowl. Add to carrots. Stir and simmer over low heat until mixture is heated throughout. Mix cornstarch with 1 cup reserved pineapple juice. Add juice to carrots and stir constantly until mixture thickens. Serve chilled if desired.

After trying this I'm not sure about the combination of pineapple and carrots. Now, I will admit that my execution was flawed. While at the grocery store I realized that I passed the canned fruit aisle, and sent the husband to get the pineapple. I specifically told him chunk pineapple. He comes back and places the can in the cart, and I didn't even think to look at it (my mistake!). I ended up with crushed pineapple :) The crushed pineapple didn't quite have 1 cup of juice to reserve, but it was close. But the husband seemed to like the dish despite it's problems, so I will definitely try to fix this dish again using chunked pineapple instead of crushed.

2 Comments:

  • At 1:13 PM, Blogger JJ (Lady Di) said…

    I was catching up on some podcasts, and heard this one yesterday that I want to try... (from: http://www.podsumer.com/vegancookingschool/archives/2005/11/a_vegan_thanksg_1.html

    One 10 oz bag organic carrots, peeled
    3 Cups Pineapple Juice
    Teaspoon cinnamon
    Teaspoon Maple Syrup

    In saucepan heat 3 cups of Pineapple Juice. Add Carrots and bring to a boil. Cook until soft, about 10 minutes. Take carrots out of juice and place in a bowl. Add cinnamn and maple syrup and bring to a boil. Cook until reduced by half. Pour over carrots and serve.

    Maybe you'd like this one better?

     
  • At 8:26 AM, Blogger Stephanie said…

    That sounds great! I think I will have to try that recipe soon :) Thanks so much for sharing it!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home