Cinnamon Dots

Food, Drink, Life

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Summer Vegetable Curry

Happy Fourth of July everyone!

I mainly picked this recipe today because it had summer in the name, but I think it would be a good winter dish as well.


Summer Vegetable Curry (4 servings at 3 points a piece)
(from WeightWatchers.com)

Ingredients

1 sprays cooking spray
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 medium garlic cloves, crushed
1 piece ginger root, 1 inch, peeled and finely chopped
2 Tbsp curry powder, or to taste
1 pound Butternut squash, chopped
1 small head cauliflower, broken into florets
1 medium zucchini, sliced
1 medium sweet red pepper(s), chopped
1/4 pound uncooked string beans, chopped
3 1/2 cup canned tomatoes, chopped
1 cube vegetable bouillon cube, dissolved in 2 cups hot water
2 Tbsp cilantro, leaves and stalks, roughly chopped (about a handful)
1/2 tsp table salt, or to taste
1/2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground, or to taste

Instructions

Coat a large saucepan with cooking spray. Heat over medium-high heat. Saute onion, garlic and ginger until softened, but not browned, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add curry powder and stir well. Add vegetables, canned tomatoes, broth and 1 1/2 tablespoons of cilantro; stir and heat until boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until vegetables are tender, about for 45 minutes.

Season to taste and garnish with remaining cilantro.

Cook's tips: Garnish each serving with 2 tablespoons of plain fat-free yogurt mixed with chopped fresh mint. You can also add cooked brown rice or a can of chick peas to the curry if desired (keep track of any added POINTS values).

Being in good ol' West Virginia, the store's butternut squashes were in poor shape. So instead I just used regular yellow squash. I really enjoyed this dish, it had a really nice curry taste to it, and it makes you feel good for eating your vegetables. I didn't try the extra yogurt garnish mentioned, but it definitely sounds tasty!

3 Comments:

  • At 12:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I LOVED it! Vegetables are good. I think I ate the majority of it. *sheepish grin*
    -Train

     
  • At 12:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I LOVED it! The smell of curry wafted under the closed door of my room and I had to come out and see what Steph was cookin' up. Vegetables are good. (I think I ate the majority of it) *sheepish grin*
    -Train

     
  • At 11:33 AM, Blogger Stephanie said…

    I'm glad you liked this stuff, Train. I liked it a lot too. I think I'll have to fix it again sometime soon :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home