Cinnamon Dots

Food, Drink, Life

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Bean Salad

I was perusing around for some summery recipes and came across this delicious sounding Black Bean Chili Salad. I was all set to make it, but when I went to the store I couldn't find any jicama. I was also worried about the husband not being able to digest the jicama, so I ended up making a mixed bean salad instead.

Here is the recipe for the salad that I was initially going to make:


Black Bean Chili Salad (approx. 8 servings at 2 points each, 1/2 cup is a serving size)

Chili Vinaigrette Dressing (See Below)
1 cup Green Giant® Niblets® frozen whole kernel corn, rinsed to thaw and drained
1 cup diced jicama (5 ounces)
1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped (3/4 cup)
2 medium green onions, sliced (2 tablespoons)
2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained

1 . Make Chili Vinaigrette Dressing in large glass or plastic bowl.
2 . Stir in remaining ingredients

Chili Vinaigrette Dressing

1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1 small garlic clove, finely chopped

1 . Mix all ingredients.

When calculating the points for this recipe I omitted the corn. I also omitted 1 tblsp of vegetable oil in the dressing.

However, here is the recipe for what I made instead:

Mixed Bean Salad (approx. 8 servings)

Chili Vinaigrette Dressing
1 can black beans (15 oz)
1 can great northern beans (15 oz)
1 can kidney beans (15 oz)
1 medium tomato
1/4 diced onion

1 . Make Chili Vinaigrette Dressing in large glass or plastic bowl.
2 . Stir in remaining ingredients

This recipe came out to be 3 points per 1/2 cup serving. I let the salad chill in the fridge, and it was very refreshing. And the husband seemed to enjoy it a lot too. It turned out to be a good alternative since I ended up not having everything I needed for the original recipe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home