Cinnamon Dots

Food, Drink, Life

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Southwestern Pasta

I like dishes with a southwest/tex mex flavor. And a lot of the dishes I fix seem to have that theme to them. If it has chili powder or cumin in it, then that dish gets major bonus points. That is probably why I was drawn to this Southwestern Pasta recipe. I honestly don't remember how I accrued this recipe, but it reminded me of a light version of Hamburger Helper, and for that the dish got even more bonus points :)

Southwestern Pasta (6 Servings at 6 points a piece)

Ingredients:
1 cup elbow macaroni
1 lb ground turkey or very lean beef
1/2 cup onion chopped
1/2 cup bell pepper, chopped
2 Tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 14 oz can diced tomatoes
1 8 oz can tomato sauce
1/2 cup water
1 can green chilies
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup lf sharp cheddar cheese, shredded

Instructions

Cook macaroni according to package directions. While macaroni is cooking, brown ground turkey/beef. Add onions, peppers and cook until onion is soft. Add canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, green chilies, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 10-15 minutes so flavors can meld. Mix in cooked macaroni and sprinkle cheese on top. Simmer for additional 3-5 minutes until pasta heats through and cheese melts.

I didn't add the full 1/2 cup of water that the recipe called for. Instead I just added a splash of water and thought it was perfect that way. I also omitted the chilies.

I thought this recipe was fantastic, and the husband, our houseguest, and one of the husband's best friends all seemed to enjoy it as well.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home