Cinnamon Dots

Food, Drink, Life

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Pepperoni Rolls

I have heard a rumor that pepperoni rolls were first made in Fairmont, West Virginia. That they were a popular lunch for coal miners to take into the mines with them. I don't know if they were in fact invented in Fairmont, but I figured I should share these great little treasures with everyone in case you haven't heard of them.

I remember when I was a little kid in Elementary School, and every Thursday was pepperoni roll day. The cooks would make them from scratch, and they would be the size of my head. That was always the one day that I wouldn't pack my lunch. The pepperoni rolls were too good!

Making them can be as easy or as difficult as you like. I prefer the easy way:

Pepperoni Rolls

Dough (I liked the reduce fat pizza dough by Pillsbury, you can use roll dough or whatever you prefer)
Turkey Pepperonis
Mozzarella Cheese

Roll out your dough and cut them to whatever size you want (with the Pillsbury pizza dough in a can I made 12 squares). Then place how ever many pepperonis you prefer (I used 4) in each square and cover them with mozzarella cheese. Next, fold up the squares into a pocket-like shape, and placed them in a 350ยบ F oven and baked until they are golden brown.

Mine turned out a little small and I typically prefer them a little more round in shape, but they still tasted delicious. The way I made them ended up being 3 points a roll...not bad for a hot tasty treat. And they didn't last long with me and the husband. Especially when they were fresh from the oven. YUM!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home