Cinnamon Dots

Food, Drink, Life

Monday, May 22, 2006

Black Bean and Zucchini Pancakes

I made this dish a long while ago and decided to finally make it again. I told the husband that I'd be making it again and he asks, "did I like that?" I remember him just gushing over them...how can he not remember if he liked them so much? Silly man.

This dish almost didn't happen. Thanks to my fine shopping skills, operation retrieve one can of black beans was not a success. I didn't realize my failure to complete my mission until the night I was supposed to fix the pancakes. The husband then talked me into going out for Mexican. He also somehow conned me into two nights of paninis (you know so we won't waste the bread). Looks like my teriyaki salmon may be getting moved to my next menu the way things are going.

Black Bean and Zucchini Pancakes (4 servings at 2 points a serving)

Ingredients

15 oz canned black beans, rinsed and drained
2 egg whites 1 tsp chopped roasted garlic (jarred)
1 tsp ground cumin 1 zucchini, shredded (1-1/3 cups)
1/3 cup plain dried whole-grain bread crumbs
2 tsp olive oil
1/2 cup salsa
1-1/2 Tbsp light sour cream

Instructions

In a medium bowl, mash beans, egg whites, garlic and cumin to a course texture (there should be a mixture of mashed and nearly whole beans). Stir in zucchini and bread crumbs. Heat large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tsp of oil. Using 1/2 of the bean mixture, drop 4 mounds into pan and flatten to about 3 1/2-inch rounds. Cook for 4 minutes, turning halfway during cooking; repeat with remaining mixture. Serve with salsa and sour cream. Makes 4 servings.

I ended up not serving these with the salsa or sour cream because we like them just the way they are, without anything extra.

1 Comments:

  • At 10:22 PM, Blogger Nau-Dee said…

    These look and sound great - I'm totally gonna have to give them a try. Thanks for posting them!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home