Cinnamon Dots

Food, Drink, Life

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Mexican Chicken Stew

I have had this recipe sitting in my "to try" pile for quite a while. I seem to fix a lot of Mexican style dishes so I've been holding off on this one for a bit. Well I finally decided it was a good time to give it a try.

Mexican Chicken Stew (3 points per 1 1/2 cups serving)

Ingredients:

3 breast uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breast
1 medium onion
3 cloves of garlic
1 medium bell pepper
1 medium poblano chile
1 1/4 oz reduced-sodium taco seasoning
14 1/2 oz fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth
14 1/2 oz Diced Tomatoes with Italian herbs
14 1/2 oz canned tomato sauce
14 1/2 oz Red Kidney Beans
14 1/2 oz Pinto Beans
16 oz salsa

Instructions:

Saute onions, garlic and peppers in fat free cooking spray until tender (onions are just turning color). Cut chicken breasts into small bite sized cubes and saute in same pan as the onions until just cooked. Add the rest of the ingredients to a 3 quart pot or slow cooker, and add in the chicken mixture. For soup pot, cook until boiling and turn to low for 30 minutes. For slow cooker, cook on high for two hours and then turn to low and let simmer for a few hours.

This soup smelled so wonderful while I was cooking it. The husband even commented about how good it smelled. So after drooling over the smell, we were finally able to taste it. It was surprisingly thick which was nice, and it tasted great. I was a little afraid that it might taste too much like taco seasoning, but I really didn't get that.

I chose not to add the poblano chile to the dish out of preference, and yet it still had a pleasant kick to it. You could definitely make this dish as spicy or as mild you want, and I thought it had just the right amount of kick to it for the husband and I.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home