Cinnamon Dots

Food, Drink, Life

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Dirty Rice

I found this recipe from one of the best places to get some tasty dishes, the Weightwatchers message boards. I know the husband really enjoys rice dishes, so I thought this would be great to try.

Dirty Rice (6 servings at 5 points a piece)

Ingredients:

1 lb extra lean ground beef or ground turkey
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 TBS chopped parsley
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 TBS Worcestershire sauce
¼ tsp. red pepper
¼ tsp pepper
1 tsp salt 1 c brown rice (either regular or instant)
1 (14.5 oz) can beef broth
1 c water

Instructions:

In a large skillet, add beef and all vegetables, cooking until beef is done and vegetables are tender. Add seasonings, stirring well. Add rice, broth, and water, mixing well. Bring to a boil and reduce heat, cover, and cook 25-30 minutes for regular rice, or 10 minutes for instant rice, cooking until rice is done.

For this dish I used ground turkey, and because of that I used chicken broth instead of beef broth. Overall I really liked this dish, and it's nice that it only dirtied one pan. The only thing to note is that if you don't like spicy, 1/4 tsp of red pepper really gives this dish a kick. For me a little spice is okay, but with the husband's condition, it can sometimes bother him; and this dish was a little too much. So next time I will cut back on the red pepper a little.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home