Cinnamon Dots

Food, Drink, Life

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

3 Bean Tacos

I said it before and I'll say it again. Mexican = GOOD! Things that you eat with a tortilla are even better. So of course I was drawn to this recipe. Now the original recipe called for the crunchy taco shells, but I opted to use soft tortillas instead. You can find the original recipe at the Apples for Health website.

3 Bean Tacos
(12 servings at 1 point a piece w/o tortilla)

Ingredients:

1 tsp. olive oil
1 cup diced onion
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
1 Tbsp. chili powder
2 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 garlic clove -- minced
1 cup canned chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
1/2 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup canned pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 (8-ounce) can no salt added tomato sauce

Instructions:

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add onion and next 6 ingredients (onion through garlic), and sauteé 2 minutes. Add chickpeas, beans, and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until thick.

I thought these tacos were great, and of course I really liked the cumin and chili flavors. I also thought it was great that it used three different types of beans. The houseguest and the husband seemed to like the tacos as well. As a matter of fact, I almost didn't get a picture of the beany goodness, and that is why the picture is of a half eaten taco.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home