Cinnamon Dots

Food, Drink, Life

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Cheddar Chicken Chowder

I don't remember exactly how I came across this recipe, but I do know that it is from Cooking Light. I also remember that I was drawn to it because it is not often that you see a creamy, low-fat chowder. Plus, all of the ingredients are simple to prepare, and it is an easy recipe to make lactose free for the husband.

Cheddar Chicken Chowder (7 servings (1 1/2 cups a serving) 6 points a serving)

Ingredients:

2 slices bacon
cooking spray
1 lb boneless, skinless, chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup diced red bell pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 1/2 cups fat-free chicken broth
1 3/4 cups diced peeled red potatoes
2 1/4 cups frozen whole-kernel corn
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups fat-free milk
3/4 cups (3 ounces) fat free shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions:

Cook bacon until crisp, and then crumble and set aside. Sauté chicken, onion, bell pepper, and garlic in a pan for 5 minutes using cooking spray or fat from the bacon. Add broth and potatoes; bring to boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add corn; stir well.

Place flour in a bowl. Gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until blended; add to soup. Cook over medium heat 15 minutes, or until thick, stirring frequently. Stir in cheese, salt, and pepper. Top with crumbled bacon.

The husband and I loved this soup. It was so warm and creamy. The red-peppers were a really nice touch too. I did leave the corn out in order to make the dish husband friendly, but I think it would really add to the flavor as well. I was also surprised at how quickly everything came together. I would recommend cutting your potatoes in tiny pieces so they cook quicker, and to really salt and pepper the soup. It definitely could have used a bit more salt than what I added.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home