Cinnamon Dots

Food, Drink, Life

Friday, November 03, 2006

Ava's Bean Burrito Casserole

A while ago, while searching around for recipes on the weightwatchers boards, I came across this little gem. Whoever Ava is, she is a genius. A burrito in casserole form is an excellent idea, and of course I had to try it. Here's my take on it:

Ava's Bean Burrito Casserole (12 servings at 3 points a piece)

Ingredients:

1 lb ground turkey
1/8 cup taco seasoning mix -- reduced sodium (1/2 packet)
3/4 cup water
15 ounces corn, canned -- no salt added, drained
14 ounces tomatoes with green chilies -- canned
15 ounces nonfat refried beans
5 ounces tomato paste
1 cup nonfat cheddar cheese -- shredded, divided
2 cup brown rice -- cooked
1 medium onion -- diced

Instructions:

Saute onion in large skillet with ground turkey. Add water and 1/2 packet of taco seasoning. Simmer until sauce thickens. Add canned veggies, tomato paste and beans. Spray a casserole dish and fill with veggie/bean/turkey mixture. Top with 1/2 c. of shredded nf cheddar cheese. Cover with cooked brown rice. Sprinkle remaining cheese over top. Bake covered at 350 until heated through, 20 min. Remove cover and continue baking until cheese is melty, 5 min.

I altered this recipe a bit; the one posted includes my alterations. It originally called for soy crumbles, 2 cups of cheese, and 4 cups of brown rice. I used ground turkey and only 1 cup of cheese. I thought that 4 cups of brown rice was overkill so I reduced it to 2 cups which was a perfect amount.

The casserole was excellent. It had everything that anyone could want in a casserole, beans, cheese, and rice :) The husband and I both really enjoyed this one. Hope you do too :)

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home