Cinnamon Dots

Food, Drink, Life

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Pumpkin Cornbread

As I mentioned the other day, the onset of fall has got me on this pumpkin kick. So I was looking for different pumpkin recipes the other day and came across this one at the 3 fat chicks site. Once I saw it I just had to try it. I've never even heard of pumpkin cornbread before, so my curiosity was definitely piqued.

Pumpkin Cornbread (8 servings at 2 points a piece)

Ingredients:

2 tbsp brown sugar
2 egg whites
3/4 cup nonfat buttermilk
1/2 cup pumpkin puree, or canned pumpkin
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup unbleached white flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp baking powder

Directions:

Blend brown sugar, egg whites, buttermilk, and pumpkin puree in a medium bowl. Stir in dry ingredients until just mixed. Pour into a 9 inch cake round which has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Bake at 350* for 20 to 25 minutes.

The cornbread turned out great. The husband and I both loved it, and we dug into it. It had a great pumpkin flavor to it, but it wasn't overpowering. The bread itself was very flaky the way a cornbread is meant to be. I served this with the Low-fat Pasta and Bean Soup, and thought they went together very well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home