Cinnamon Dots

Food, Drink, Life

Friday, September 29, 2006

Fresh Tomato Rice Soup

With the cooler weather rolling in, I began my quest to find great soups. I found this recipe in a recent WeightWatchers e-mail.

Fresh Tomato Rice Soup (6 servings, 2 points a piece)

Chop 32 Roma tomatoes or 15 beefsteak tomatoes (about 4 pounds) and place them in a slow cooker. Stir in 2 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth and 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice. Add 3 celery stalks, thinly sliced, and 1 medium onion, finely chopped. Stir in 2 tablespoons dried basil, 2 teaspoons sugar, 2 teaspoons dried thyme, 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves, salt, and ground pepper to taste. Cover and cook on low until the rice is tender, about 8 hours. Makes 6 servings, 1 1/2 cups each.

I don't know what kind of slow cooker they were using, but there was no way that 15 beefsteak tomatoes were going to fit in my slow cooker. I didn't even buy that many to begin with. I think I ended up using six or seven. It is possible that I bought mutant tomatoes, and they just so happen to be much larger than your typical beefsteak tomato.

Making this soup was extremely easy. You just had to chop....a lot. I happened to really enjoy the tomato and basil together. The soup was pretty hardy and it wasn't overpowered by the rice. The husband said that the soup wasn't his favorite, but he did somehow manage to eat a whole serving of it. If you are trying to figure out a way to use up all of those remaining summer tomatoes, this dish would be a perfect remedy :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home