Cinnamon Dots

Food, Drink, Life

Monday, October 16, 2006

Bell Pepper Stew

The other day while on a grocery trip, the husband found several free recipe cards. He showed this to me and I immediately wanted to prepare it.

Bell Pepper Stew (8 servings, at 3 points a piece)

6 chicken breast halves
2 cups chicken broth
2 14.5 oz cans stewed tomatoes
2 to 3 medium carrots, slices
2 potatoes, diced
1 onion, cut into strips
1 green pepper, cut into 2-inch strips
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp dried Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp dried rosemary leaves
4 cups cooked rice (1.5 cups uncooked)

1. Remove skin from chicken, if necessary. In large kettle, simmer chicken in water or broth until tender, about 1 hour. Remove cooked chicken and cool 20 minutes. Remove chicken from bones and cube.

2. Add tomatoes, carrots, potatoes, onion, green pepper, garlic, Italian seasoning, and rosemary to broth. Cover and simmer 30 minutes. Add rice and chicken. Heat through.

When making this I decided to save myself some time by using a pound of boneless skinless chicken breast and cubing it before simmering in the chicken broth. I also only used 2 cups of cooked rice instead of 4 to save on some points. I thought the rice to stew goodie ratio was great. The verdict on this recipe is fantastic. For only using one green pepper, you could really taste it throughout the stew. The husband said that the smell of the spices and other flavors in the stew are very comforting, and are great for the cooler weather.

2 Comments:

  • At 3:04 AM, Blogger Nau-Dee said…

    I immediately want to prepare it too. Is it as good as it looks??? I'm gonna have to put this on my "to make" list!!!!!

     
  • At 8:40 AM, Blogger Stephanie said…

    Indeed it is as good as it looks! At least I think so ;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home