Cinnamon Dots

Food, Drink, Life

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Black-Eyed Peas with Tortillas

While perusing vegetarian recipes, I spotted this interesting one at All Recipes. I like vegetarian recipes because they are usually something a little different, and they are typically cheaper to make. The husband and I have never had black-eyed peas before, so I thought this would be great to try.

Black-Eyed Peas with Tortillas (4 servings, 2 points a serving for the black-eyed pea mixture w/o the tortillas)

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1 (15.5 ounce) can black-eyed peas, drained
1/2 cup vegetable stock
1 fresh jalapeno pepper, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
salt and pepper to taste
4 (12 inch) flour tortillas

Directions:

Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat, and cook the onion until tender. Mix in the black-eyed peas, vegetable stock, jalapeno, garlic, and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and continue cooking until heated through. Wrap the mixture in the tortillas to serve.

For our first experience with black-eyed peas I thought it was a very good one. The husband and I both liked the recipe, but I seemed to like it much more than he did. It was great to have something I hadn't tried before. The husband said that he could eat black-eyed peas again, but he prefers black beans or pinto beans in his tortilla. So I think I'll limit this dish to just an occasional meal for when we need a break from the same'ol same ol'.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home