Cinnamon Dots

Food, Drink, Life

Monday, May 01, 2006

When A Simple Dinner Goes Oh So Wrong

A few nights ago I had planned on making bean burritos with salsa rice. Earlier in the day I had been browsing on the Weight Watchers boards and came across an interesting recipe called Mexican Zucchini Oven Fries. I happened to have a leftover zucchini sitting in my fridge and I really didn't know what I was going to do with it, so I decided to make the zucchini fries as a side to the burritos. It also didn't hurt that I already had all of the ingredients on hand.

Well long story short, things didn't turn out exactly as I had expected. I was expecting something a little crisper. I'm not sure if I did something wrong, or if they were supposed to be that soft. Here is the recipe for those who may want to try their hand at them, but don't be surprised if they don't turn out crisp like real fries.

2 medium zucchini
Vegetable cooking spray -- as needed
1 tblsp dried oregano
1 tblsp ground cumin
1 tblsp grill seasoning
1 cup chili sauce -- or mild taco sauce

Preheat oven to 500 degrees.

Cut zucchini into 1/4 - inch square by 3 -inch long sticks -- like fries. Arrange zucchini on nonstick cookie sheet. Spray zucchini with cooking spray.

Combine spices and sprinkle over the zucchini fries. Place in very hot oven and cook 15 to 18 minutes. Serve hot. If desired, top with spoonfuls of chili sauce or taco sauce.

This recipe yields 4 servings an is zero points per serving.

Here is a picture of the finished product:


To make things worse, the zucchini fries weren't the only part of dinner that went awry. While my zucchini was cooking, I got to work on my burritos. I made my salsa rice (cooked rice with salsa added to it) and heated up the black beans. I pulled out the tortillas and asked the husband to warm them up in the microwave. I had just got back from my dance class so I took that opportunity to go change. While I was changing I hear, "these stupid tortillas are sticking together, your going to have to get them apart." So I try with no luck. I decide to go ahead and nuke them all in the microwave as they were, hoping they'd come apart once they warmed up a bit. But no such luck. So instead we decided to just pull some pieces off and add it to a bowl with the beans and rice. Well that turned out to be a bad idea too. The husband took a taste of the tortillas and said they tasted funny. So in the trash they went! I was so frustrated with them. Oh well, at least the beans and rice were delicious :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home