Cinnamon Dots

Food, Drink, Life

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Easter Feaster

The husband and I decided to stay at home for Easter because we desperately needed to take control of the monstrosity that we call a yard. So I decided that it would be a good excuse to create an Easter Feast.

Easter Menu:

Breaded Turkey Tenderloins
Roasted Vegetables
Parmesean Mashed Potatoes
Easter Bread

The turkey tenderloins are a creation that I came up with recently. I mix a tablespoon or two of parmesean cheese with store-bought bread crumbs. I dip the tenderloins into the bread mixture and cook them in a pan with 2 teaspoons of olive oil. They don't take long to get crispy and golden brown.

I found the roasted vegetable recipe at DWLZ. I omitted the onions and green beans and added zucchini, yellow squash, and red and yellow peppers. This ended up being enough vegetables to feed an army, so I plan on using the leftover vegetables as a side dish for tonights dinner as well. Of course leftovers are always a nice bonus!

I was watching a new show on the food network the other day and saw Ellie Krieger make parmesean mashed potatoes. This is where I got the idea for the potatoes. I started by peeling and boiling two baking potatoes. I then added some chicken broth, a dab of Lactaid brand skim milk, a dash of garlic powder, and three tablespoons of parmesean cheese to the potatoes (after draining them of course) and mashed them. They were really flavorful and quite delicious.

As for the bread...well I haven't baked bread from scratch in a long time, so this was an undertaking in its own right. I decided to go with a traditional Easter Bread, you know the kind with the Easter eggs in it. The husband snarled his nose at the idea of the easter eggs so I omitted those. I also had to alter the recipe a bit to make it a little lighter and lactose free. I was able to use the Smart Balance Margarine for the butter, and of course the Lactaid milk. It got a little darker than I would have liked, but silly me was outside working on the yard and didn't think to check that it might be done a little early. But never fear, it was still quite tasty. And of course the husband and I couldn't resist eating a big hunk of it fresh from the oven.

So after all of that cooking and yardwork, this is what we ended up with.


I have to say, I was quite pleased with the results, and the husband seemed to enjoy it as well. I'll be making all of these dishes again, and I'm especially looking forward to trying my hand at bread-making again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home