Cinnamon Dots

Food, Drink, Life

Thursday, April 20, 2006

The last time I checked it wasn't winter...

I usually do my grocery shopping every two weeks. I've realized that eating healthy can be very expensive at times. What works for me is I make a dinner menu, and then create a grocery list from the menu and add in things for breakfast, lunches, and snacks. I typically spend around the same amount each time I shop. It's a sure fire way to use everything I bought, and avoid wasteful purchases. With my next grocery shopping day coming up soon, I think I'll post the next menu I create.

Every two weeks when I sit down to create this menu, I always ask the husband if he has any suggestions. Of course he usually just suggests the same things each time: turkey paninis, lasagna, and tator tot casserole. Occasionally though he'll slip an alternate suggestion in there, and this last time he suggested Winter Day Casserole. It's a good dish, and I haven't made it in a while, but with spring finally here I was hoping for something summery. But I don't mind making it (like i said, it's good), so I took the husband's suggestion and put it on the menu.

I found this recipe on the weight watchers community boards (that's right I'm a point counter). Unfortunately I don't remember who I got the recipe from.

Winter Day Casserole

1 lb uncooked ground turkey (I like to use the 99 % fat free kind)
1 cup onion
2 tsp minced garlic
1 cup mushrooms
1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
14 oz canned kidney beans
1 Tbsp chili powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
2 cups cooked brown rice
2 Tbsp + 2 tsp grated Parmesan Cheese

In a nonstick skillet cook turkey, onions, and garlic until turkey is browned. Stir in remiaing ingredients except cheese. Pour into a 2 quart casserole. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes or until bubbly. Sprinkle cheese on top before serving. Makes 4 Servings. For those of you who are counting it is 6 points per serving.

Once finished it looks like this:



It's a really easy casserole and very filling. I especially enjoy the brown rice in it. So it may not have been a winter day, but turns out it's fine for a spring day too...maybe we should rename it to "Any Day Casserole" :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home