Cinnamon Dots

Food, Drink, Life

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Unstuffed Green Pepper Soup

I found this dish in the Busy People's Slow Cooker Cookbook. It originally called for ground beef and beef broth, which I changed to ground turkey and chicken broth. It also called for one cup of green peppers. I added two medium sized green peppers to it instead. I wanted a good green pepper to soup ratio. I also cooked this on the stove top instead of in the slow cooker.

Unstuffed Green Pepper Soup (8 1-cup servings at 4 points a serving)

Ingredients:

1 lb lean ground turkey
3 cups fat free chicken broth
2 cups low sodium vegetable juice
2 (14.5 oz) cans stewed tomatoes
2 medium green peppers, chopped
1 cup onion, chopped
1 cup instant rice

Directions:

Slow Cook directions:

Spray a large slow cooker with nonfat cooking spray.In the slow cooker mix together the meat, broth, vegetable juice, tomatoes, green peppers, and onion.Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours. Before serving stir in the rice. Cover and let sit for 5 minutes.

Stove top directions:

Brown meat on medium heat. Once the meat is cooked, add onions and green peppers. Cook for several minutes until the vegetables are soft. Add the remaining ingredients. Cook covered for approximately 30 minutes.

This soup was so wonderful! The husband and I liked it very much. There was a good mixture of all of the ingredients, and I'm glad I decided to add more green pepper. It's a green pepper soup after all, it needs green peppers. I served this along with corn muffins, which were great to dip in the soup.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home