Cinnamon Dots

Food, Drink, Life

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Double Coconut Pancakes

I found this recipe in the December issue of Cooking Light. They did a little series on pancakes and sauces, and of course the coconut pancakes jumped out at me.

Double Coconut Pancakes (4 servings at 7 points a piece)

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp flaked sweetened coconut
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 (13.5 oz) can light coconut milk
1 tbsp light butter, melted
1 large egg, lightly beaten

Directions:

1. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups, level with a knife. Combine flour and next 4 ingredients (through salt) in a large bowl. Combine coconut milk, butter, and egg; stir well. Add coconut mixture to flour mixture, stirring until smooth.

2. Pour about 1/4 cup batter per pancake onto a hot nonstick griddle or nonstick skillet. Cook 3 minute or until tops are covered with bubbles and edges look cooked. Carefully turn pancakes over; cook 2 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 3 pancakes)

These were some great pancakes! The husband liked them a lot too, but I'm sure he may be a little biased since he is a huge coconut fan. The pancakes came out light and fluffy, and the little bits of shredded coconut in each bite were such a delight.

3 Comments:

  • At 10:33 AM, Blogger Nau-Dee said…

    never thought of making coconut pancakes....bet the light coconut milk in there really added a great flavor!
    Did you eat them as is or did you make a little topping/syrup to go on top?

     
  • At 12:09 PM, Blogger Stephanie said…

    I ate them with a little bit of sugar-free maple syrup. I think they definitely needed a little sweetness to them.

     
  • At 4:44 PM, Blogger Nau-Dee said…

    I'm defiantly going to give these a try (next month) as I've not ever had anything like them before..... Since I haven't tried them before I don't know how well they will lend themselves to this idea but I had some thoughts for a topping. I was thinking about taking a little of the light coconut milk, rum extract (or rum sugar free Da Vinci syrup) and a bit of crushed pineapple with juice and sauteing that with a little butter and or even a little sugar free syrup and see how it comes out. I'm sort of thinking of a pina coladas or tropical coconut pancake....? I'll let ya know if I come up with anything good.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home