Cinnamon Dots

Food, Drink, Life

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Spark People

I stumbled across a doozey of a site the other day and I really want to share it with everyone. It's called Spark People. I was looking for a website that would give me the nutritional information of recipes when I happened across it.

Spark People is a FREE weight loss site, and I have been very impressed with it so far. It is very similar to WeightWatchers, but without points. Instead, they give you a daily calorie, carbohydrate, fat, and protein range to aim for. Plus there is a multitude of other things you can track as well, including things like calcium intake.

It also sets up a fitness program for you which lets you choose which days you want to do cardio and which days you want to do strengthening exercises. Something I love love love about the fitness program is that it will ask you what type of exercise equipment you have, and then provide an appropriate workout that utilizes your equipment. And it consists of a full body workout, complete with demonstrations and how to complete each exercise properly.

The website also has a lovely recipe database to browse, and you can of course enter your own recipes as well. It will then give you all of the nutritional information for a recipe, whether it's from the database or one of yours. And the recipes you enter yourself are organized very neatly on what looks like little recipe cards, along with the nutritional information. The organization is much better than other sites.

Another nice thing about the site is that there is plenty of additional support available as well. They have an endless supply of articles about staying healthy, and they have good message boards too. All of the members have been very friendly, helpful, and supportive.

So if you'd like to save some cash or are looking for something else, I definitely recommend you check this site out. If you are worried about the validity of it, according to the site it was started by a group of dieticians and nutritionists. I always thought it was kinda ridiculous that you would have to pay for an online weight-loss program, but then again I understand, and I wouldn't have been able to lose the weight I have without one. But I'm glad to see that now there is such a well done program that is freely available.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home