Cinnamon Dots

Food, Drink, Life

Monday, April 16, 2007

Slow Cooker Jerk Turkey Soup

This is another recipe that I've had sitting in a pile, waiting to be tried. So when I found myself in need of a quick dish recently, I decided to finally try this one out.

Slow Cooker Jerk Turkey Soup (6 servings at 3 points a serving)

Ingredients:
1/4 tsp ground allspice
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp black pepper, divided
1 lb skinless boneless turkey breasts, cut in 1-inch chunks
1 medium garlic clove, minced
1 medium onion, chopped
14 1/2 oz fire-roasted diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
15 oz canned black beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp fresh lime juice
2 tbsp fresh cilantro, minced

Directions:
  1. Combine allspice, cayenne, ginger, garlic salt and 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper in a medium bowl.
  2. Add turkey and toss to coat; set aside for 15 minutes.
  3. Place turkey in a 5-quart slow cooker; add any spices remaining in bowl. Add garlic, onion, tomatoes, beans, broth, salt and remaining 1/4 teaspoon of pepper; stir.
  4. Cover and cook on LOW setting for 6 to 7 hours.
  5. Stir in lime juice and cilantro; let sit for 5 minutes for flavors to blend.
  6. Yields about 1 1/2 cups per serving.
I served this dish with home-made tortilla chips. I have to say that it had very interesting flavors to it, but it really wasn't one of our favorites. As the taste hit your tongue it ranged from sweet to spicy, and was good for something different, but I don't think it will be one I make often. I did however like how easy it was to prepare, so it's one to keep in mind when I'm in a pinch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home